- Safety Observation Report (SOR) is a tool to identify and document unsafe acts and unsafe conditions.
- This tools seeks out actions more than conditions.
- SOR allows both safety personnel and supervisors and employees to document their findings.
- Helps gather information to look at the Indirect cause of accidents.
- Resources and training can be focused on area of deficiency.
- The SOR process benefits the overall HSE program by identifying unsafe acts and conditions on a continuous basis, thus allowing for corrective actions to be taken before an accident occurs. It also serves as an excellent tool for assessing the health and safety program, and incorporating improvements to strengthen any weaknesses observed. HSE program assessment is a requirement of the law and this tool allows for one of several compliance measures. One excellent indicator of the SOR, as mentioned above, is that it illustrates a level of ownership of the HSE program by employees and Supervision.